Skip to main content

Week 8 Journal


I was completely astounded this week while studying about different company motivations, hiring practices and employee engagement practices.  I read about a software company SAS Institute.  This company has an internal daycare, personal ergonomic coach, employee cafeteria, employee gym and unlimited sick leave for employees to enjoy.  Jim Goodnight believes that a company will only succeed as long as the employees are healthy and happy.  I didn’t realize there were companies that practiced these kinds of principles.  My current employer has a mission statement that includes words like “Mission, Vision, Values and Goals”, however upon further reading of my own company propaganda it appears that most of these words are fluff, with no real intent or plans behind the hype.  Hopefully, after earning a degree, I might be able to find a company that can afford to treat its employees as well as the stock holders believe they do.

               I chose a close personal friend as someone I would like to have on my personal Board of Advisers, Tona Hangen.  Many years ago, when my wife and I started corresponding with one another in a long-distant relationship, she was a live-in nanny for Don and Tona Hangen in Stow, Massachusetts.  The Hangen’s had three little boys with a little girl on the way and Tona had just finished her masters at MIT.  She was beginning a doctorate at Brandeis University and was writing her doctoral thesis, these reasons are why they employed my wife as a nanny.  Many years of friendship and friendly debate have led me to decide her as board member.  I know her testimony in Jesus Christ is unwavering.  We both have strong opinions and where we differ are our beliefs in some church policy and governance and our ideas in national politics.  Regardless of how fiercely we contend with one another, I know I can always rely on her being much, much smarter than me.  Tona has an ability to litigate on personal opinion, yet be understanding and open-minded with others when they differ with her own ideas.  I would need someone like her for perspective.  I could also rely on her loyalty, friendship and love – regardless of any decisional outcomes.

               While studying this week I read an article by the Harvard Business School entitled “Developing Your Career & Theirs”.  This article suggests that “few successful people are entirely self-made.  Most can point to a relative, a boss – a mentor – who helped them make the most of life’s lessons and guided their professional development.”  Two people that have been a mentor for me are Rich Rucker and Scott Moore.  I had the opportunity to serve in a bishopric with Bishop Rucker.  He chose me as a counselor at a young age, and helped me mature into who I am.  I’ve sat countless hours in his office and watched as he prayed and counseled with us for the benefit of the ward.  It was he who taught me to always listen and be slow to speak.  Many years have passed since I sat with him in council, however everything he taught me rings true with my own personal career.  Scott Moore and I have been friends for over ten years.  I’ve spent many scout camps and girl’s camps sitting by his side and talking about life.  Scott is currently serving as Bishop in his own ward and I take his opinion and council first when a decision is presented in my life.  I know he would never lead me astray, however, he would also stand up and defend any of his ideas we might see differently.  I could rely on him to always speak his mind and understand the “big picture”.  He’s an amazing father of five kids and he has helped me tremendously in learning how to be a father with my own two boys.  He, like Bishop Rucker have helped me mature into the man I am now.  Both, without realizing it, have influenced most of my business decisions and career paths.

Comments